The installation of “The Bridge Brothers of Hereford” was performed on Saturday, 10th September 1932, by Mr. G.H. Jack, M.Inst.C.E., F.S.A. at The Booth Hall, Hereford, with all of the Foundation Members present (one Master, two Wardens, ten Brothers).
The aim of the Society was to encourage enthusiasm in good workmanship for its own sake, and a right understanding between employer and employed, and to render competent and honest service in the matter of bridge building and repairing. Craftsmen were to be employed by the Council instead of casual labour through competitive contracts, so that some, at least, of the beauty of the early work of bridge building might be recaptured. This was inspired by the original values of the French Order of Bridge Brothers (Fratres Pontifices) which dates back to around 1164.