The Archenfield Deanery consisted of the parishes of Ballingham, Much Birch, Little Birch, Bridstow, St Devereux with Wormbridge, Little Dewchurch, Much Dewchurch, Foy, Garway, Goodrich, Hentland with Hoarwithy, Holm Lacy with Bolston, Kenderchurch, Kentchurch, Killpec, Llandinabo, Llangarren, St Weonard’s, Llanrothal, Llanwarne, Marstow with Pencoyd, Orcop, Peterstow, Sellack with King’s Caple, Tretire with Michaelchurch, Welsh Newton, Welsh Bicknor and Whitchurch with Garnarew.
The magazine dates from 1887 and was started to ‘supply news of events and work going on in the parishes close beside us.’ It was also founded to unite a region with no large town to form a centre and to ventilate and discuss plans for the deanery. The magazines contain news broken down by parish. Each month from 1887 – 89, the magazines also feature the Banner of Faith Magazine issued by the Church Extension Association. This features fictional writing, poetry and articles on heroes of the Christian faith as well as instructions on the gospels. From 1890 onwards, the magazines feature the Dawn of Day magazine which covers similar topics and features to the Banner of Faith. The fictional stories in it however are written in monthly instalments over several months.