This collection was donated by a descendant of Col. Hugh Spencely, who owned the Moor Court Estate in the early 20th century. The estate was purchased in 1909 from James Henry Davies of Canterbury, [see Sales Particulars M5/21/80] and sold in 1914, [see Sales Particulars M5/21/81], but a trunk full of deeds relating to the property was retained.
The deeds were for a number of properties in Pembridge and Lyonshall that had one thing in common. They were all purchased by James Davies of Kington in the 1830s & 1840s. Moor Court itself (variously Moorcot, Moorcourt, Morecot) is the largest holding, and James Davies became known as “of Moor Court” despite having several large holdings in the area.
The Sales Particulars in M5 (as listed above) give very detailed accounts of the properties, some photographs of the house (since demolished) and very detailed plans of the various portions of the estate. There is a further holding on the Spencerly family at CK39 for more background on the more recent owners.
The property had been in the hands of the James family for many years, and other documents relating to that family can be found in AK49 (Court of Noke deeds) and T74 (Downton estate).
The catalogue has been arranged to start with Moor Court, and then the larger holdings, followed by the smaller purchases.
1. Moor Court Estate (CJ87/1-23)
2. Holme Estate (CJ87/24-96)
3. Cotmore Estate (CJ87/97-123)
4. Woonton’s Ash (CJ87/124-144)
5. Miscellaneous properties in Pembridge
Bonds Green (CJ87/145-158)
Posthouse Cottage (CJ87/159-170)
Bolton Farm (CJ87/171-180)
6. Miscellaneous properties in Lyonshall
Philott’s Plock (CJ87/181-182)
Crump Oak, Great & Little Bolton (CJ87/183-186)
Two Mile Cottage (CJ87/187-188)
Fryingpan Castle (CJ87/189)
Lyonshall Borough (CJ87/190)
7. Miscellaneous properties in other parishes
8. Estate maps. (CJ87/195-199)