The new Hereford Lunatic Asylum, later Hereford & County Mental Hospital, was built 1868 to 1871 at Burghill and became known as St Mary’s Hospital after the local parish church. The main asylum had two blocks, one for men and one for women, each of which could house 200 patients. An annual visit by a Committee of Visitors provided the basis for the annual report.
In the early 20th century, the hospital was enlarged and a small isolation hospital (to treat such diseases as tuberculosis) was added in 1911. The hospital was closed in 1994.