The land contains c.203 acres. The property as a whole came into the ownership of William Rudge towards the end of the 18th century. His two daughters, Elizabeth and Ann, were his heirs and were given a life interest in the properties. By his Will, the property was left, after their death, to any children of them equally. Ann married but did not have children, while Elizabeth married George Rootes and had six children. Many of the following documents relate to mortgages raised by those children on their expectations of inheritance. The estate appears to have been split at some point, and Castle-end was treated separately and sold to Lord Ashburton in 1841. The Upper Weston estate remained in the family until after the deaths of Elizabeth Rootes in 1879 and Ann Nicholls in 1884, whereupon it was sold by auction and the profits shared equally among the remaining heirs. Some parts of the estate were not sold at the auction, and were later sold by private treaty.