A parish council was formed in Goodrich in 1894, following the Local Government Parish Councils Act of the same year. The parish council lasted until the Local Government Act of 1972, when parish councils were given greater powers and fewer restrictions. At this point, Goodrich Parish Council was joined with Welsh Bicknor parish to form a new group parish council. The parishes themselves were not combined and could still call their own parish meeting. They were grouped together for administrative convenience. Goodrich and Welsh Bicknor Group Parish Council consists of seven members elected by Goodrich Parish and one member elected by Welsh Bicknor parish.
The records have been preserved in the order they were in when they arrived at the record office. There is no distinction in them between the records associated with Welsh Bicknor parish and those associated with Goodrich parish. The files were numbered and listed on an accompanying list describing the records. As far as possible, the records have been kept in numerical order according to this list. Some changes have however, been made so that all the correspondence could be grouped together and the minutes and other distinct series could be put at the top of the list, as with other parish council collections.