The area now known as the Castle Green is the site of Hereford Castle, which was last fortified during the civil war. At the end of that war, the castle was demolished and the site was apparently sold to Sir Robert Harley, who presented it to the people of the county. As county property it was administered by the Justices of Quarter Sessions, and on the formation of the County Council passed automatically into ownership of the council.
The site was originally used for a variety of purposes, but was laid out as a public garden by the “Society of Tempers”, who rented it from the Justices, in 1752. In 1873 the Castle Green was leased by the Justices to Hereford Corporation, for 200 years, for use as a pleasure ground or place of public recreation. The rent was then set at £21.1.0 per annum, of which £20 was not to be demanded as long as it was expended on improvement and maintenance of the property.