Dore Abbey was founded in 1147 by a group of monks from Morimond, one of the “five elder daughters” of Citeaux. It was the only Morimond house in Britain. The Friends of Dore Abbey organised a number of events in 1997 to commemorate the 850th anniversary of it’s founding.
The events included:
An International Conference 24 – 27 April 1997
An Exhibition in Hereford Cathedral April – September 1997
A Commemorative Service 1 June 1997, with the Archbishop of Canterbury as guest.
The Book launch of The Definitive History of Dore Abbey eds. Ron Shoesmith & Ruth Richardson (Logaston Press: 1997)
The Exhibition was far-ranging and the organisers sought to borrow items that had formerly belonged to Dore Abbey before the Dissolution in 1538. Vestments and manuscripts were requested from The V&A Museum: The National Archives: The Society of Antiquaries: The British Library: Trinity College, Cambridge: The Bodleian Library, Oxford & Exeter College, Oxford.
The International Conference featured speakers from Europe who were experts in the Morimond houses, and the Cistercian order.